RE: Re: [PHP-WEBMASTER] Re: [PHP] The Cat Signal

Signal'
> which personally I find as objectionable as the laws it's complaining
about!

> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL
> -----------------------------
> L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://lsces.co.uk EnquirySolve -
> http://enquirysolve.com/ Model Engineers Digital Workshop -
> http://medw.co.uk Rainbow Digital Media - http://rainbowdigitalmedia.co.uk
>

> --

This sounds more like a business annoyance than an internet freedom problem,
but okay. Technically, in the US, I thought it is the end-consumer that
needs to pay a sales tax to the state where they live. Consumer retail
businesses are required to tack them on at the point of sale as a
convenience for both the consumer and the government, then pass the money
on. The seller only pays taxes, to the municipality(s) where their business
is physically located, based on their net profit. So the sales tax itself
does not come out of the company's pocket. The company bears the cost of
tracking, processing, and forwarding the taxes to the government(s)
involved, but that is a deductible expense. Sales taxes are a tedious, but
not costly, normal business expense.

Really, how hard is it for computer savvy people to sort their sales
transactions by customer's state and sum up the sales tax amounts paid so
they can write a check every quarter. Many businesses would be happy to have
to mail 50 checks every quarter, one to each state. That means they are
making sales in every state!  That sounds like a profitable business to me.
And as far as filling out 50 sales and use tax forms each quarter, they have
these things called computers now that make pulling in data and printing
forms happen at the touch of a button. Maybe some enterprising programmer
could write software to do just that and sell it on the internet.

We need to stop playing idealistic revolutionary and help shape real
solutions. The fact that you are allowed to run a business on the internet
is the internet freedom you are looking for. You have won the revolution!
Now, deal with the realities of running a business. Putting your business on
the internet should not be a magic pass to avoid the costs of doing
business. We need to admit we are part of the system and figure out a
streamlined way for internet businesses to pay their fair share. The "Free"
in free economy does not mean it doesn't cost money, time, effort, etc. to
do business.

The internet is not a magic cloud run by fairy dust. The internet was
created by military and higher educational systems, both tax supported
entities. Corporations and governments maintain the infrastructure that
keeps the internet working. Without governments and corporations there would
be no internet. They are the internet. The alternative is to go back to ham
radios. Sorry for the rant, this is a hot button topic for me.

Jeff Burcher - IT Dept
Allred Metal Stamping
PO Box 2566
High Point, NC 27261