Re: Re: [PHP-WEBMASTER] Re: [PHP] The Cat Signal

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 03:45:46PM -0400, Jeff Burcher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been out of the loop and just did some quick skimming of SOPA/PIPA to
> see what all the fuss was about. PIPA seems a little vague, but SOPA seems
> pretty straight forward, stop piracy of copyrighted materials. I don't
> understand what is wrong with that?

Here's another one: There are currently discussions in the U.S. Congress
in favor of forcing internet vendors to charge sales tax on *all* sales,
regardless of whether the vendor has a presence in that state or not.
Imagine having to file state sales tax returns in 50 states. This effort
has rather significant bipartisan support. Now ask yourself what large
corporation with brick and mortar stores *wouldn't* sign on to support
this one? That's what you're up against. You've got Amazon.com on your
side. Yay. You might want to get busy on that one.

Governments and large corporations are about power and *control*. The
internet is the antithesis of this. So expect their efforts to control
some or all of the internet to continue until they succeed.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com