Re: What do you call the end-user?

Tedd Sperling wrote:
I can't wait for tomorrow -- so here's my off-topic post today.

First question:

What do you call the people who ultimately use your code?

I call them the "end-user", but others have stated other terms, such as "customer" or "user".

If they are paying they are customers, if they are freeloading they are users.

Second question:

Are you concerned with their ("whomever") experience in using your code?

This question transcends your code working correctly, accurately, and securely -- no need to comment on those aspects. But rather more specifically do you consider how easily your "whomever" can use your work efforts?

As you may have guessed - I just attended a UX conference and they provide an interesting perspective on UX. I was wondering how php developers typically address the subject.

I have an application which has evolved over 20 years, but still does essentially what it did 20 years ago. It was ported to PHP to replace it's own alphnumeric terminals around 2000 but still uses the basic functionality that the original hardware provided.

The nice thing about PHP is that it while the original stuff was all hard coded programs and changes were difficult, with PHP we can adjust things easily. Probably a little too easily, but molding things to each sites personal preferences is something that could not be done originally. So we tailor the user side to reflect local workflow rather than forcing a one size fits all solution that we had before.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL