Re: Got HTML5 History API + caching LICKED, I think, <grin>

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 22:11 +0100, rene7705 wrote:

> > or current fast internet connections.
> > become faster still.
> > >
> > > That may be so, but when my 100Mbit/s connection finally managed to
> > download the file it took about 4 minutes, which is nowhere near 2MB/s.
> > Your homepage takes 7 seconds to load - that's unacceptable in the real
> > world, especially when you're talking about a server that's (and I'm only
> > guessing here) not under heavy load.
> > >
> > > Anyway, your comment about waiting for the nets (sic) to catch up so it
> > can cope with your bloat has convinced me to not bother looking any further
> > into your project, but I wish you the best of luck with it (you're gonna
> > need it).
> > >
> > > -Stuart
> > >
> > > --
> > > Stuart Dallas
> > > 3ft9 Ltd
> > > http://3ft9.com/
> > >

> > Yup... I think rene forgot the fact is if each client requests pull
> > 1MB/s , his upload has to be at least 120MB/s for 100 simultaneous
> > clients' connections.  Last time I check in ISP services, that
> > bandwidth falls within OC-12+ category....
> >

> If ya'll would take a closer look at my site, you'd see that most of the
> size is in artwork.
> If you want a simple site, use simple artwork.
> It's _not_ my code's size that's any problem, as I mentioned earlier.
>
> Enough for now, I'll look at this list tomorrow again.
> Time for partying with the live mix at frequence3.fr now..

Just adding my own two pennies to this lot.

It does seem a little irresponsible to create such a large (in size)
website, especially when you consider that in many countries people
don't have high-speed or unlimited access. Even the UK has lots of areas
with only basic Internet access via dial-up lines, and plenty of people
rely on mobile dongles to connect, which are most often metered and
slow.

On to the technicals of what you wanted us to look at, because I think
this thread has become slightly derailed from the original question.

      * The 'Home: Downloads, Blog' link at the top doesn't work for me
        at all. I'm using Fx 3.6 on Fedora 14
      * The drop-down menu appears odd, with some items appearing over
        the others
      * The products menu at the top does nothing when clicked on
      * Other 'pages' take a long time to load in

Sorry, but it really doesn't look very professional when basic things
(like links) don't work at all. I'd hate to have any kind of disability
because I doubt any screen readers would work, and using your site with
only a keyboard would probably be just as impossible.

That might seem like harsh feedback, but I do have quite a strong view
on accessibility.

--
Thanks,
Ash