Re: Exporting large data from mysql to html using php

Jason Pruim
lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Oct 27, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Tommy Pham wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Jason Pruim <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Jason Pruim
> lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> The server that's running it is a home computer with a VPS installed... It's not my dev environment :)
>

> Home computer used for a production environment?  Wow.. I'm speechless.

Ummm... No... Home computer for a dev environment... The final product will be moved to a better host. This is temporary... And actually isn't a bad idea... If you get it running good on a cheap home computer, why wouldn't it run *BETTER* on the high-end production server?

> The information being searched is specifically phone numbers, and the bosses want to provide the public away to browse them, hence the pagination... Once I removed a COUNT from mysql it started working alot better... So I still need to provide a better pagination system, but it's working.
>

> If just showing phone numbers only and no other information, what's the point since there are already several other white and yellow pages on the net?  There's even a reverse number look-up too.  There's also a well known paid service for getting a DB of contacts (name, address, phone numbers of persons and businesses).  Just out of curiosity, what is it that your boss intend to offer that would stand out for already existing services?  I doubt anyone would be sane enough to sit there and just browse through phone numbers only.  Even if it does show the owner's name of the registered number, I highly doubt anyone sane would browse unless you provide some kind of filter/search.

I'm not expecting people to look at every single page... But I need away to allow curious people the ability to page through results if they want.

> Oh, and the 89 million is just for one state :) We are talking the possibility of I believe 10 billion numbers to cover the US, not to mention Canada which I believe uses the same numbering system as we do so that could be another 10 billion...
>

> > As I've mentioned, something of this magnitude is better to leave it to the
> > DBA and work together with that DBA.  Either hire/contract one or become one
> > :)
>
> I'm working on becoming one ontop of web designer and programmer :)
>
> Good luck, that's a LOT of reading.  I'd estimate that's about 3k+ pages of reading. :)

I've always been a fan of reading :) Just wish I had more time to do it! :)