Re: Exporting large data from mysql to html using php

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Jason Pruim <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> It turns out the issue was actually in the pagination... I'm reworking the
> whole thing and stream lining it... But in the pagination that I found on
> the internet it used a "SELECT COUNT(*) WHERE state='{$state}'"; and the
> COUNT was killing the time... Once that was removed, I was displaying
> records faster then I could imagine... So it's off to pagination land to fix
> it! And possibly redo the entire thing!

If you're encountering performance issues while doing SELECT COUNT(*), it
sounds like you have serious disk IO performance issue.  Is the DB on RAID
subsystem?  If not, why not? If so, what level?  Also, what type of HDDs?
For something like this, it should be RAID 10 with HDDs spinning at least
7200RPM, 10,000+ RPM recommended, connected to a good RAID controller, like
3ware's.  Also, the controller should be in slot PCI-X or, preferably,
PCI-e.

Regards,
Tommy