Re: Exporting large data from mysql to html using php

Jason Pruim wrote:

> Jason Pruim
> lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On Oct 25, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Jim Giner wrote:
>
>> I disagree.  It's not about "tuning the queries", it is more about the
>> appl. design that currently thinks it SHOULD do such huge queries.
>>
>> My approach would be to prompt the user for filtering criteria that
>> automatically would reduce the result set size.  Although at this time I
>> believe the OP mentioned that the db is just telephone numbers so that
>> doesn't leave much room for filter-criteria.
>>

> Yes it is just phone numbers... The only select that I'm running on the
> entire site is related to the pagination... A simple: $sqlCount = "SELECT
> COUNT(*) FROM main WHERE state = '{$state}'";
>
> which limits it to everything inside the state... Unfortunately if you
> look at the possibilities, it's still quite a large dataset... 89 million
> :)
>
> The rest of the query's will be much more limited to areacode, exchange,
> and in some cases the full phone number... Maybe the better way to do it
> would be not to count the records.... But set a variable with the total
> count... That way I don't have to load all the data... The data amount
> won't change alot... Easy enough to set a variable...  Just need to see if
> I can integrate that with the pagination...
>
> Back to the drawing board! :)

Consider running EXPLAIN on all your queries to see if there is something
Mysql thinks could be done to improve performance.

Cheers
--
David Robley

Why do they put Braille dots on the keypad of the drive-up ATM?
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 7th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3177.