Re: Re: PHP frameworks

On 21 July 2011 23:56, Shawn McKenzie <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/21/2011 03:59 PM, Chris Stinemetz wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am thinking about venturing into PHP frameworks, but I would like to
>> get advice on what the correct selection would be for someone that is
>> about intermediate in PHP knowledge.
>>
>> Thank you,
>
> So, with your post you will probably get one or more replies suggesting
> every one of the popular frameworks and then several that suggest some
> lesser known ones.
>
> I think Zend looks great, but for many people (including me) it is
> overly complex and cumbersome.  It is a very professional and
> standardised class library, but has no "glue" to put it all together for
> you. Also, it takes OOP to the extreme (for PHP anyway).  Everything has
> abstract classes, interfaces and the like.
>
> CI is good from a lightweight, gives you something to build on perspective.
>
> I however prefer CakePHP.  Its been around for a while, it can
> automatically build an app from just a well designed database and
> doesn't require configuration files in XML, YAML or what have you.  The
> documentation is OK and could be much better.
>
> It really depends on what you want out of the framework.  I would
> suggest going through the CakePHP and CI tutorials and seeing which one
> seems like a good fit for you.

I use a combination of Zend Framework (Soap and Config), PEAR (for
Console_CommandLine) and my own code developed along the lines of Zend
Framework.

I think the "What framework is best" question can be partially
answered by asking which framework allow you the greatest degree of
flexibility.

I don't have to use any part of Zend that I don't want. Same with PEAR.

Having said that, none of these frameworks will write your app for
you. Others may, based upon various rules or file structures.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend : PHPDoc