Re: PHP frameworks

On 07/21/2011 03:59 PM, Chris Stinemetz wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am thinking about venturing into PHP frameworks, but I would like to
> get advice on what the correct selection would be for someone that is
> about intermediate in PHP knowledge.
>
> Thank you,

So, with your post you will probably get one or more replies suggesting
every one of the popular frameworks and then several that suggest some
lesser known ones.

I think Zend looks great, but for many people (including me) it is
overly complex and cumbersome.  It is a very professional and
standardised class library, but has no "glue" to put it all together for
you. Also, it takes OOP to the extreme (for PHP anyway).  Everything has
abstract classes, interfaces and the like.

CI is good from a lightweight, gives you something to build on perspective.

I however prefer CakePHP.  Its been around for a while, it can
automatically build an app from just a well designed database and
doesn't require configuration files in XML, YAML or what have you.  The
documentation is OK and could be much better.

It really depends on what you want out of the framework.  I would
suggest going through the CakePHP and CI tutorials and seeing which one
seems like a good fit for you.

--
Thanks!
-Shawn