Re: Re: phpsadness - P.C. shmee seee.

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 19:23 +0200, Richard Riley wrote:

> Geoff Shang <geoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> They need to or there can be unintentional side affects that will
> >> reflect badly on them and possibly you.
> >
> > Rubbish.  All they need to do is what everyone else does and say "This site may
> > not work well on your browser, we recommend using Internet Explorer or firefox"
> > (or whatever they support).  Then if I choose to use it, it's on my own head,
> > which is fine by me.
>
> Not rubbish at all. They owe you nothing.
>
> Not everyone is you.
>
> If they allowed incompatible browsers that caused havoc then before you
> know it the great unwashed would be demanding more and better support or
> complaining about lack of functionality. Doing what they do they make it
> very clear from day one.
>
> Dont like it? The APIs are open. Write your own interfaces to their
> authentication and graph API and target the parts that wont result in
> your accuont being banned for chucking access tokens around and breaking
> their security model.
>
> Simple solution : use an uptodate capable browser if you want to use
> these technologies. I really dont see why people whine.

I think his point is that a lot of websites ignorantly stop browsers not
on their list of compatible ones, and end up blocking browsers that
would work perfectly well, just the original developer either wasn't
aware or didn't care. This used to be in the form of Javascript
detecting if a browser was IE, and if it wasn't, assuming blindly it was
Netscape Navigator. Now Fx seems to be in that position, and many sites
ignore perfectly good browsers like Chrome, Safari, Opera & Konqueror to
name a few. All of these are modern browsers, yet they will be blocked
by stupid code.
--
Thanks,
Ash