Re: Re: phpsadness - P.C. shmee seee.

At 6:29 PM +0100 6/5/11, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

I think his point is that a lot of websites ignorantly stop browsers not
on their list of compatible ones, and end up blocking browsers that
would work perfectly well, just the original developer either wasn't
aware or didn't care. This used to be in the form of Javascript
detecting if a browser was IE, and if it wasn't, assuming blindly it was
Netscape Navigator. Now Fx seems to be in that position, and many sites
ignore perfectly good browsers like Chrome, Safari, Opera & Konqueror to
name a few. All of these are modern browsers, yet they will be blocked
by stupid code.
--
Thanks,
Ash

1+

Absolutely.

If you want to have a web site it figures that you want as many visitors as possible. If you restrict visitors to specific browsers then runs contrary to your interest-- and that is just plain ignorant.

For example, I just found a web site where I wanted to order a car part. In their search form they asked for my auto's make and year. After I provided that information, without providing me anything, they asked me for the part number I was interested in purchasing. What???? How do I know what their part number is for the auto-part I want?

I'm going to use their web site as an example of how NOT to design a form. While they may know the auto-parts biz, they are clueless about how to provide their products to visitors via their web site.

I've had more than one client tell me "Just have the computer do it" -- to which I reply "I tried, but the computer just sits there. How do you do it?"

Ignorance in leaps and bounds everywhere.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------