Re: A Review Request

On 18 May 2011 23:50, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 11:22 PM +0200 5/18/11, Peter Lind wrote:
>>
>> On 18 May 2011 23:12, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Â> Thanks, but the point here *is* to get people involved using PHP.
>>
>> Good and noble intent. Does not in any way have anything to do with
>> copypasting.
>
> That's more of an argument than a fact -- and I don't feel comfortable
> calling it copypasting. I'll stick with calling the practice "Copy/Paste" as
> defined by Apple. Sure, people can argue that M$ invented the practice, as
> they did everything else, but I remember M$ claiming that the mouse wouldn't
> make it, and that was before Copy/Paste. Â:-)
>
> Back to point, I just spent 16 week teaching 16 college students via
> "Introduction in PHP" by giving them code to copy/paste.
>
> As a result, I saw most take-off and learn more than I taught. Sure, there
> were some who just didn't get it, but I think they would not have
> "gotten-it" even if I had forced them to hard-code everything. Some people
> are not geared for programming.
>
> -------
>

>> *IF* the users follow directions - a lot of them won't. Some of them
>> will copypaste it into different environments than you have envisaged.
>> Then someone will probably also find a bug in it at some point.
>
> If they do find a bug, then I'll deal with it. But putting this link up for
> review by peers, as I've done here, is one way to help catch those bugs.
>
> ------
>
>> Â> Granted, for over a dozen years I've provided various "code" to users
>> and
>>>
>>> Âhave more than my share of stories to tell of how they don't follow
>>> Âdirections -- just take a look at my "Web Tips" pages. However, I would
>>> have
>>> Âgreatly appreciated someone showing me what an include was back in 1998.
>>> It
>>> Âcould have saved me a lot of trouble.
>>
>> You make my point for me but for some reason don't want to follow the
>> logical conclusion of it. Why?
>
> I stated my reason, Perhaps I'm wrong, but that remains to be seen. However,
> it is not fact that your position is a logical conclusion -- it's just your
> conclusion.

Premise: The code I've placed in the "Copy/Paste" sections will work
"as-is" *IF* the users follow directions. I've tested it and it does
work.
Premise: Granted, for over a dozen years I've provided various "code"
to users and have more than my share of stories to tell of how they
don't follow directions -- just take a look at my "Web Tips" pages.

Logical conclusion: you cannot guarantee what you're trying to, namely
"it does work".

Regards
Peter

--