Re: A Review Request

On 18 May 2011 23:12, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 10:55 PM +0200 5/18/11, Peter Lind wrote:

>> Good initiative. One thing though:
>> Please do not EVER suggest that people copy/paste your code. Do NOT
>> provide a nice option for copying it or suggest that "it will work if
>> you just copy this and add a suffix". Plenty of people will mess
>> things up somehow, you'll discover a bug somewhere, etc. etc.
>> Copypasted code is one of the worst things the web has done. So please
>> don't add to it :)
>>
>> Regards
>> Peter
>
> Peter:
>
> Thanks, but the point here *is* to get people involved using PHP.

Good and noble intent. Does not in any way have anything to do with copypasting.

> The code I've placed in the "Copy/Paste" sections will work "as-is" *IF* the
> users follow directions. I've tested it and it does work.

*IF* the users follow directions - a lot of them won't. Some of them
will copypaste it into different environments than you have envisaged.
Then someone will probably also find a bug in it at some point.

> Granted, for over a dozen years I've provided various "code" to users and
> have more than my share of stories to tell of how they don't follow
> directions -- just take a look at my "Web Tips" pages. However, I would have
> greatly appreciated someone showing me what an include was back in 1998. It
> could have saved me a lot of trouble.

You make my point for me but for some reason don't want to follow the
logical conclusion of it. Why?

> This is just one way to give-back.

Suggesting people that they copypaste your code is a very bad way of
giving back. Suggesting that they read and understand the code is a
great way. I hope you see the difference.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>