Re: Reminder On Mailing List Rules

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Â ÂUnfortunately, Michael, while I appreciate your analogy (rarely is
> something well-balanced between wit, truth, and vivid imagery enough
> to make me laugh at the mental picture), I must point out that, in
> this case, you're incorrect. ÂWe do not operate this list for purposes
> of discussion; this is a support list. ÂWhile it frequently [d]evolves
> into discussion - which is quite welcome to perpetuate the vibrancy of
> the community at large, our intent for this list is to be used as a
> means of peer support for those active on the list and reading the
> archives alike. ÂIn fact, the very description of the list is "a high
> volume list for general PHP support; ask PHP questions here,"

Well, as you are @php.net, I will humbly bow to your word; Note that I
have switched to typing with proper capitalization now. It's because I
have the time. I typically delete probably 85%+ of email on the list
without reading it, I read a few, and I post even rarely. I apologize
for my amount of posing today being non-support related, but it has
been proven that the more barriers to entry one puts up, the less
people enter.

The last thing I want to see is php.net mailing lists become #perl on
efnet - an elitist group of folks who don't seem to be in the mood to
help you and only tell you to RTFM - when a simple "yes" or "no" is
actually less characters to type out to begin with.

PHP is basically the only language I deal with any more - and it's the
only language I -want- to deal with. I hate to see basic semantics
such as "top post you asshole" scare off fresh blood and create a
hostile or otherwise discriminatory environment. Keep PHP alive and
well, at least until I retire. Don't let it die like Perl has! (ha,
ha)