Re: Reminder On Mailing List Rules

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Michael Shadle <mike503@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > i've found top-posting to be useful in the corporate environment where
> the
> > people i'm working with are too ignorant to understand the rationale.
> >  however, when you're working with programmers, i think the expectation
> is
> > more than reasonable as well the rationale behind it being understood.
> >  top-posting is also useful for trivial communications where only 1 or 2
> > replies will ever be sent.  however, in long running complicated threads
> it
> > quickly results in replies that are difficult to follow, specifically b/c
> it
> > becomes non-trivial to correlate which portion of the previous message
> the
> > author was addressing; at the very least, it introduces ambiguity.
> > and more to the topic of this thread, the degradation of the
> communication
> > here is a great example of another reason i've stopped being so active.
>
> i agree, truly discussing something that is against your opinion
> should definitely be considered "degradation"
>
> >  there are standards established by the list, if you can't follow them,
> > maybe you belong on the sidelines as an observer.
>
> yes, certainly people who do not have the patience to wait until
> they're home on a more formal PC in an increasing age of mobile do not
> belong in any discussions online. so while that audience is growing,
> their influence should be reduced. great math there.

its not my fault the mobile browsers aren't as capable as the ones on pc's.
 i've been on a decent mobile device since the iphone 3g.  i do like your
logic of the larger audience being the one calling the shots in the online
experience, however, while mobile is quickly outpacing the pc, i'm sure the
pc environment is still the larger of the two atm.

furthermore, i find this usage of the term "standards" is quite
> amusing. assigning a "standard" to a freeform discussion capability
> should be a farce, especially when you can't even consider web
> development RFCs "standards" when different browsers implement them
> different ways.

lol, poignant, an amusing question is "how many standards does it take
before it's no longer a standard".  well call it etiquette then, it's like
joining a club and finding out they don't want guys pissing on the floors in
the public showers.

> perhaps you should just unsubscribe then, if this list is introducing
> so much more effort into your day to read.

shrug, since i still use php a good deal in my daily life, i choose to
ignore most of the topics as they are repeats many times anyways.  typically
the people who need to be asked to not top-post are involved in threads that
don't peak my interest.

> note, that i take the time to bottom-post and clean up emails when i
> have time, but if i don't, i don't.

as do i, but i'll be nice enough to excuse myself when breaking protocol.

> people discuss things for discussion, they don't discuss things because
> they care how it is
> placed. that's like getting a present and whining about the wrapping paper.

lol, nice analogy.  i find it more along the lines of if you can't speak the
language the way others are speaking it, they simply can't understand you or
won't bother trying in the first place.  its like classifying ebonics as
english.

-nathan