Re: tutorial failure

'Twas brillig, and Ashley Sheridan at 19/08/10 23:16 did gyre and gimble:
> I used the GUI: K-Menu->Configure your Computer->Install & Remove
> Software
>
> Then searched for 'php', and the first package listed was
> apache-mod_php, which I installed along with the other php modules that
> I normally install (like GD, mcrypt, etc). The package manager sorts out
> dependencies very well. I'm not sure if installing over the command line
> with rpmi will deal with dependencies like this, and it certainly won't
> automatically install apache-mod_php if php is installed, as php doesn't
> necessarily *have* to run as a web server module, let alone as an Apache
> one specifically.

Just for reference:

1. The Package Manager GUI will indeed sort it all out for you.

2. The Package Manager GUI is just a frontend for urpmi. All the
dependency tracking etc. is in urpmi. It's very much like Yum, but IMO
is easer to use and better at reporting conflicts and other such things.
But to each his own :)

3. Just install task-lamp. Who cares that you get mysql installed? I
doubt the space overhead is a problem and I'm very much presuming that
this is your development PC. No offence intended (we were all new once)
the fact that you are asking the questions you are means that this
simply *cannot* be a production setup!

If you have any doubt and want to be more specific, just install
task-lamp-php. All of these are listed in the Package Manager GUI. Just
pick "Meta Packages" and then look under System->Servers (or just search
for the name: staring the GUI and typing "lamp" into the search box is
really all that's needed).

4. Yes PHP can be installed as cgi, apache module or command line. There
is no such thing as "installing php" - you install which system you
want: command line (php-cli), apache module (apache-mod_php) or cgi
(php-cgi). I work with LAMP stacks on various flavours servers and I
find the Mandriva one to be very, very well thought out, and very
flexibly mainly due to the excellent work of Oden Ericsson.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie