Re: tutorial failure

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 22:24 +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 19:04 +0100, e-letter wrote:
> > On 19/08/2010, HallMarc Websites <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I agree with the earlier take on this situation; you need to start at the
> > > beginning and learn the basics regarding the technologies BEFORE you try and
> > > manage them. You're trying to drive a car when you don't even know what or
> > > car is and how to operate one so you keep crashing.
> > >
> > > Here are some great sites to check out:
> > > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/
> > > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1868
> > > http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL
> > > http://www.w3schools.com/
> > > There are some great books out there as well to help you learn and I
> > > recommend getting the reference guides as well. Since the gist of this
> > > thread seems to be focused on the LAPP set-up and mainly an Apache (?)
> > > configuration issue you might try the forums and mailing lists found there
> > > as well.
> > >
> > No response from apache forum. Looking at the web browser output from
> > the processing of the php file, the partial success of processing the
> > file suggests that the problem is with php; if it was due to apache,
> > html code would be affected as well?
> >

> No, because Apache doesn't need to process HTML in the same way it
> needs to process PHP. The tag <?php in your code is being sent down to
> your browser as HTML (view the source on the page you're browsing to)
> and interpreted as a tag by your browser, hence what appears to be
> partially processed output.
>
> It's fairly clear by now that Apache does not know about your PHP
> install (if there even is one)

This is my suspicion also.

> I've just set up and installed PHP and Apache on my Mandriva box since
> I've been at home, and it took all of 5 minutes

What was the name of the PHP package you installed? I E-Mailed him
offline and had him run the command rpm -q php5 to try and figure out if
php was installed and he replied with this:

<quote>
> No package by this name in the repository; have libphp5_common5
> installed.
</quote>

Well I don't know what the name of the php5 in mandrake, so I can't tell
whether he's actually got php installed at all.

--
Blessings,
David M.