Re: tutorial failure

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 12:10 +0100, e-letter wrote:

> On 18/08/2010, chris h <chris404@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What are the actual file permissions when you run ls -o?
> >
> root
> >
> > Do you know if PHP is installed as an apache mod or cgi? Also you might
> > check what user apache is running as.
> >
> No. How to verify?
>
> > possibly...
> > $ vi /etc/apache2/envvars
> >
> No apache2 on my computer, only '/usr/lib/apache' which contains only .so files.

ls -o doesn't give one word answers, so again, what is the output of an
ls -o call in your shell?

I assume that root is the owner of the file here, and the fact that
you're getting some output from it seems to suggest that at least read
permissions are available for group and other, but you should check to
see if the permissions are indeed something like 664 (-rw-rw-r--)

What OS are you using? I'm assuming a Linux distro of some kind here,
but it could also be another Unix variant. Have you tried using the
package manager within the distro (if it is Linux) to install PHP and
Apache together? That makes it a lot easier to get up and running with a
decent configuration, especially if you're unfamiliar with the more
complicated details.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk