[OUTPUT BUFFER] - problems with redirects

So, I'm have this site where all this code was developed and the logic sits
in different plugins throughout a template. So, html is output and then hits
one of these plugins. Plugins do some processing and then hit a
header(location...) redirect.

So, problem is they developed code with these header redirects and now we
there's too much html being output so we get the buffer errors

Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started
at
/home/carma/templates_c/carma^0^31^811^%%E2^E22^E22E607D%%carma%3Amenu.php:138)

to fix we have to up the buffer ouput in the php to something really high.

So, as far as I know this is not good coding practice and upping the output
buffer is really masking the problem.

Is there another way to work around this like another way to do redirects
that won't cause these buffer probs?

Thanks, T