Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 08:11 +0200, Rene Veerman wrote:
>
> right now my cms is 2D, and indeed most of the graphics are static then.
>
> but i have plans to lift it into 3D, with "rooms" interacting via
> avatars, and then the graphics-selection and avatar-behavior
> (animations) selections alone i suspect will put much extra stress on
> the servers. especially if i have to use sql servers to handle the
> datastreams.
>

> Have you had a look at Papervision? It's about the best thing for 3D on the
> web right now, and has even garnered some official Adobe support.

yup. papervision, away3d, i've had a look at them.

my current thinking is to build an abstraction layer for 3D in
flashdevelop.org that interfaces with either papervision or away3d.. no
telling which'll be the victor in the end of that race.

but the real reason for me to invest in an extra abstraction layer is those
"unlimited detail" guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4&ttl=1)
who are likely to change the entire 3D stack (from graphicscard up).