Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 22:15 +0200, Rene Veerman wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>

> > So you're basically saying that you'd discount anyone who opposes you
> > purely because you think you know best?
> >
> > Nice attitude.
> >

> I ain't saying that at all, nor did i intend to imply it.
>
> In fact it's the anti-threading/shared-mem camp that thinks they know
> everything best with their instistance that "throw more hardware at it, more
> sql servers, more programming languages in a single project" will solve all
> software design / growth problems with enough efficiency.

They're offering the alternative. You keep disagreeing with their
viewpoint because you seem to think you know best on this matter and
won't even concede on a point.

> In this case, you still haven't given me any other reason to oppose the
> evolution of php with the market trend

Do you have any proof of this 'market trend'? I suggested a vote, but
you 'nay-sayed' it on the basis that you'd lose to people who couldn't
possibly know as much as you do.

> , other than that it would cost
> php-dev team time that can be spent on other things.
> you (that camp) haven't even told me what features you want 'm to spend time
> on instead.

There are no new features that *I* can think of that *I* need in PHP,
which is not to say that there aren't any that *other* people want.
Again, I did suggest some sort of vote on this, which would give the
internals team an idea of how keen people were to see this in the near
future, but you said that too many people would oppose it. This comes
round to the fact again that you seem to know best, and if the majority
of people oppose your suggestion then they must be wrong, so any vote
wouldn't count.

I wouldn't say I belonged to any particular camp at the start of this
thread, but now, having read what my betters have said, I'm inclined to
agree that threading isn't the magic wand that you seem to think it is.
I personally see one of the largest sites in the world running on PHP
without needing threading and without insulting half the list to attempt
to get it.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk