Re: PHP Manual problems

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Nathan Rixham wrote:
>> Michael A. Peters wrote:

>>> I'm basically following this model -
>>>
>>> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/previewofhtml5
>>>
>>> It took very little work since I was essentially doing that already.
>>> aside is the most logical html 5 layout tag for describing the sidebar
>>> in a two column layout.
>>>
>>> I suppose one could put multiple aside elements in a classic <div
>>> {id,class}="sidebar"> but I don't really see the benefit.
>>>
>>> Since the aside used as a sidebar is neither a child of the article or
>>> section, it is an aside to the main content div.
>>
>> no offence but I have to agree with Rob here, it seems like confusion
>> between "a side" and "aside" is entering.
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/aside
>
> 1 : to or toward the side

1 : to or toward the side <stepped aside>

<aside> was originally called <sidebar>, because throughout literary
pieces you'd often find an aside on the side of a page, often you still
find them in news articles and the like (even online) with short, semi
related content in them - to prevent confusion and people thinking it
meant a literal sidebar (like we've come to think them on web pages)
they changed it to <aside>.

to further clarify, we're not talking about an aside as in the adverb,
we're talking about the noun "aside" :
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=4282&dict=CALD&topic=remarks-and-remarking

regards :)