Re: PHP Manual problems

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 02:39:03 +0100, jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jochem Maas) wrote:

>Op 2/4/10 1:32 AM, clancy_1@xxxxxxxxxxxx schreef:
>> Recently I have frequently found, especially in the morning (GMT 2200 - 0200), that I can
>> open a bookmark in the manual, for example http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php.
>> But if I then do a search of any type I get 'The page cannot be displayed'.  I then cannot
>> reach any page, including the one I originally opened.
>>
>> This morning, after some fiddling, I found that if I closed the browser, and re-opened it
>> I could then see the original bookmark again, and link to some pages, but others would
>> again crash the browser, as would all searches.
>>
>> I am using IE6, and have seen a message that I should update my browser, but only when the
>> page is displaying properly.  Firefox 3.5.5 immediately converted the above to
>> http://au2.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php. and then told me "The manual page you are
>> looking for (http://au2.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php.) is not available on this server
>> right now."
>
>there are stacks of mirrors. try one of:
>
>au.php.net
>tw.php.net
>tw2.php.net
>tn.php.net
>tn2.php.net
>sg.php.net
>sg2.php.net
>
>... guessing those are closest to you.

Thanks. I was under the misapprehension that the providers server would automatically hunt
for a valid mirror, but I find that my various bookmarks are scattered on mirrors all over
the place. Also that if I do a search from what appears to be the logical starting
bookmark it doesn't work, but if I do it from most of the others it does. Very strange.

>as for using IE6 ... WTF ... you do realise this is essentially a web developers mailing list right?

The interesting things in my websites go on behind-the-scenes, in the PHP, and produce
relatively straightforward HTML. I have avoided the well-known bugs in IE6, and think my
webpages display correctly on any of the modern browsers, but as Microsoft delights in
rearranging everything in every update, and making the features you need ever harder to
find, I stick to IE6 for my everyday work.