Re: PHP Manual problems

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:
>

>> Many government documents have the concept of "aside" as appearing
>> through the document and contextually near to the information to which
>> the aside relates. The entire sidebar seems a bit gratuitous as an
>> "aside". Sure it's aside, but it's not exactly the semantic meaning of
>> aside.
>>
>>  From the W3C Working Draft:
>>
>>     "The aside element represents a section of a page that consists
>>      of content that is tangentially related to the content around
>>      the aside element, and which could be considered separate from
>>      that content. Such sections are often represented as sidebars
>>      in printed typography.
>>
>>      The element can also be used for typographical effects like pull
>>      quotes."
>>
>>      http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/semantics.html#the-aside-element
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob.
>
> I'm basically following this model -
>
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/previewofhtml5
>
> It took very little work since I was essentially doing that already.
> aside is the most logical html 5 layout tag for describing the sidebar
> in a two column layout.
>
> I suppose one could put multiple aside elements in a classic <div
> {id,class}="sidebar"> but I don't really see the benefit.
>
> Since the aside used as a sidebar is neither a child of the article or
> section, it is an aside to the main content div.

no offence but I have to agree with Rob here, it seems like confusion
between "a side" and "aside" is entering.

when you're working with HTML you shouldn't be thinking about layout, a
document never has a "side bar"; sure it has a footer, a header, some
nav, sections and so forth - but never a "side bar" - if you want to
wrap some sections and nav in a div so you can present it as a "side
bar" then sure, but this is certainly not an aside.

an aside is something that you say that is not directly connected with
what you are talking about.

like when you remember something vaguely related, and spit it out,
because sure it gives some context to what you're saying but could
easily be left out.

regards!