Strange behaviour with uploaded files .. XAMPP on Windows

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is really a PHP question or specific to XAMPP, or windows in general...

I have XAMPP including PHP 4.29 running on a Vista machine.

When I use a form to upload a file, using $_FILES['uploadedfile']['name'] and move_uploaded-file($_FILES['uploadedfile']['name'], $targetpath) strange effects happen.

The file is uploaded to the target directory just as it should.

But when I access this directory as a network share on a different machine, the file is not visible.

When I go to delete the file, or the entire uploads folder, the file is not deleted, nor the folder. If the folder contains anything I put there manually (ie. not uploaded as above) that is deleted, but the uploaded content remains.

This reminds me a bit of "symbolic links" behaviour but I'm really stumped if that's the case.

Any ideas?