RE: dynamic menu with show hide capabilities - understanding possible workflow

Thank you all.

Ok. Please stay with me, cause I still have some doubts.
Not only do I need to display the subitems on click but also, when the user clicks on one menu item, I need to change the URI as well.
Why? Because, each time the user clicks on a menu item (whateaver that item as childs or not), I want to display a list of products related to the clicked item.

So, I was trying to avoid js, because, I don’t know that much about js. However, I’d like to do it properly, so, the only way I was allowing the use of js, was by do not disabling the back button functionality and by allowing a add to favorites option as well, allowing the URI changing… O.o

Anyway, let’s face it:
Js is my only option, could this be a nice workflow, for an unobtrusive solution?

1)      Generate the multidimensional array from query.
2)      Generate the ul / li menu (echo + foreach) displaying all child elements as well.
3)      Apply the anchor to the list items.
4)      Apply some js to that ul / li that:
4.1) will be responsible for show/hide elements.
4.2) Will be responsible to show/hide elements only when some DOM node(?) as children.
4.3) Change the URI on click, so that some information can be showed based on uri segment.

Can I have your help to fill the blanks here, or, if there are to many, just an orientation reference, in order to get started…

Thanks a lot once again,
Márcio