Re: phpmailer send() always return true even the email address is invalid

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 09:00:24AM -0400, Bob McConnell wrote:

> The return code only tells you the local server accepted the mail. It is
> unlikely that server knows the address is invalid since it can only
> validate the domain portion of the address. Only the destination server
> can validate the user name, and most are now configured not to report
> mail sent to invalid addresses due to spam. They will silently discard
> the message.

It used to be that internet mail servers would deny an email address as
invalid while the SMTP conversation was going on. Then, because of
services with millions of addresses, like Yahoo, they stopped doing
this, and instead would bounce the messages back some time later.

I recently had a conversation with a guy who's heavily involved in
internet email. His view echoed what you're saying-- it does spammers a
favor to bounce messages to bad addresses. But I got the impression that
his view was a minority one.

It sounds like you're saying his view has become the majority view. Does
your job put you in a position to confirm this with authority?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster