phpmailer send() always return true even the email address is invalid

Due to my web hosting server implement SMTP authentication, I couldn't do it with PHP mail() function, so I opt for PHPMailer. However, the $mail->Send() method always return true even I've set the $mail->AddAddress with invalid email address.
I've tried with valid address. It's good and I've received the email.
Then I set it with invalid xxx@xxxxxxxxx, the return value is true, and I have received email from mailer daemon that gmail has rejected the email. Then I set the $mail->Address with invalid name & invalid domain. This time, the $mail->Send() still return as true, however, I didn't receive email from mailer daemon this time.

Any idea why this happened? Any solution for me or suggestion to use other send mail class/function that support SMTP authentication?

Thanks!
Keith