Re: Advise on starting a web store site

At 1:15 PM +0100 7/6/09, Matthew Croud wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to start my first e commerce website for a small web shoe store.
I think I know enough PHP to keep my head above water, I'm using an add on shopping cart package to deal with the transactions.

My question is, what's the best way to design a site where each product appears to have its own page.

Is there a way to create the site *without* having each product have a physical separate page ?

Is there a method of web design which makes creating new pages simple if they all follow the same pattern. i.e thumbnail, description etc.

Thanks guys,

Matt.

Mat:

Certainly, here's an example:

http://ancientstones.com/

Each item is pulled from a database and the catalog is assembled as the user instructs. When the user clicks on an item, then an individual page is assemble to show that item. There are no static pages, but rather templates where the contents are pulled from a database to fill the templates (catalog page and item page) as the user shows interest.

I also have a back-end script that allow the owner to upload pictures of his product and add content (i.e., title, description, price).

Additionally, the "shopping cart" I use here is provided by PayPal and NOT something I installed. Believe me, dealing with credit card transactions is not without concern and liability. I recommend with a small web store, it is worth considering passing all that responsibility off to a company that deals with it routinely. It's a simple process to use PayPal.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------