Re: Proper code formatting

George Larson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Shawn McKenzie <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Bob McConnell wrote:
>>> From: Michael A. Peters
>>> yet.

>>> has

>>> To take this question a step further, is there a PHP best practices
>>> document available? I am looking for one that I can give to a new
>>> programmer and tell her "do it this way until you can explain to me why
>>> you shouldn't."
>>>
>>> Bob McConnell
>> There are various coding standards.  There is one for PEAR, the Zend
>> Framework and most frameworks/large projects that take contributions
>> have them.  Here's Zend:
>>
>> http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/coding-standard.html
>>
>> --
>> Thanks!
>> -Shawn
>> http://www.spidean.com
>>
>> --
>>

> Being a greenhorn, I too can benefit from this thread.
>
> Is that to say, Shawn, that you personally find this (Zend) standard as good
> or better than the rest?

Many of them are very similar, I just picked Zend as an example because
it is well known and they are the "PHP" company :-)  I tend to follow
many of the common standards but not any one in particular.  I am not a
professional developer and don't work with others really so its not as
big of a deal.  If you are working with others then I see that it is
important first and foremost to have some consistency and readability.

Some things are more personal preference and some are meant to make the
code readable/portable.  For example, the spaces vs. tabs is important
because some systems/editors/IDEs display tabs differently, but 4 spaces
should be 4 spaces almost everywhere.  I use CakePHP mostly and try and
follow they way it is coded so that it is consistent, but I flip flop on
some things for no apparent reason sometimes without even realizing it.

* I used to do this:

function somefunc() {
   //something
}