Re: Re: How important is your Express or Web Edition database? Please weigh in--

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Boyd, Todd M. <tmboyd1@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Of course I've used it. I've also used SET ROWCOUNT, too. To limit the
results to a fixed number of rows, they work just fine. But the TOP
keyword by itself doesn't come near providing the capability to
provide paged results that you can get using MySQL's LIMIT clause.
I've seen a lot of workarounds posted but they all have limitations.

> I've had to do a lot of searching to find ways to do stuff in SQL Server that were already natural for me in MySQL (as I learned on MySQL and develop independently with it), but I have yet to be completely taken aback by something that's missing in SQL Server. (I am a little miffed that you have to do a sub-query on information_schema in order to test for object existence, though.)

There are other ways, but that is the "correct" way since it's part of
standard SQL and therefore not as likely to change or disappear in
future versions.

> Anyway, I don't see what all the anti-MSSQL sentiment is all about. I use it all the time (SQL Express, SQL Server 2000 and 2005 Professional) and I don't find myself wanting for something I could have done in MySQL but cannot do in MSSQL.

Neither have I. For that matter, depending on the project I prefer SQL
Server because it doesn't ignore CHECK constraints. And as for speed,
I have yet to have SQL Server be the bottleneck in an application that
I've had to work on -- either MySQL or SQL Server.

> SSIS packages are pretty sweet to work with, BTW, if you've ever needed to build DTS solutions. :D

I can't wait to see them. I like DTS in 2000, and I've heard that SSIS
is supposed to be much better. So far, we are still running 2000.
Given the license costs, we just haven't had a compelling reason to
upgrade to 2005 since 2000 is more than adequate for what we need. I
think we are looking at jumping straight to 2008 later this year
though. (We also have to wait in some cases for 3rd party app vendors
to release versions of products that support the newer versions of SQL
Server.)

Andrew