Re: Re: Opinions / Votes Needed

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:36, Tony Marston
<tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Really? In 2007 I single-handedly designed and built an ERP system with 130
> database tables, 230 relationships and 1000 screens, all with PHP and
> without an ORM and static typing. This took me 6 months. If you can't equal
> that then either you are not much of a programmer, or your development style
> is not as good as you think it is.

    And yet, just a few months ago, you couldn't figure out how to
launch a background process from PHP[1].

    Lesson: Alzheimer's is a bitch.

> If you want a good ORM then write one yourself, or is that beyond your
> capabilities?
>
> Personally I wouldn't touch an ORM with a barge pole. I develop applications
> using the 3 Tier Architecture (no, it's not the same as MVC) with a Data
> Access layer that I can easily switch between MySQL, PostgreSQL and Oracle.
> If I can do it then why can't you?

    The pattern I note here is, "I have been the best programmer since
1977, and the standard of 'Good v. Bad' must be judged by me."  In
your section "My career history - disasters I have encountered"[2],
you list three projects that didn't go as expected.  That's a great
ratio, considering the level of success you've probably had in
counter.  I'd admit at least a dozen projects over the years that
ended in failure or less-than-successfully.  The issue I see is that,
in the three examples, your summary of what led to the failure was the
fault of others.

    Question: Why hath they forsaken Thee, Lord?!?

> If you spend a year writing useless code, then it's your fault, not PHPs.
> It's a bad workman who blames his tools.

    For this statement, I completely agree.  I'm not entirely sure
where I see blame being placed on the language, but perhaps I've
missed something.  What I do see is that PHP is an adaptable language,
intended to be molded, customized, and extended for each individual
scenario.  While changing the language in its core and releasing that
as the official package will affect thousands of developers and
countless lines of code, it is irresponsible and counterproductive to
tell someone that they can not garner the opinions of others who would
be interested to join in a project, outside of the core, to effect
those changes; worse still to belittle someone in public.  As the
saying goes, "'tis better to keep one's mouth closed and be thought a
fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  In writing, this is even
truer.

    Observation: It is a bad workman who blames his tools, but it is a
feeble-minded workman who shits where he eats: one who wastes billions
of processor cycles to insult someone's intelligence in the same forum
in which he announces his own framework.

    KEY:

            1: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.general/190836/match=
            2: http://www.tonymarston.net/aboutme/disasters.html

--