Re: Re: Opinions / Votes Needed

2009/1/18 Tony Marston <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> In case you have forgotten what this thread is about, the OP gave a list of
> suggested "improvements" to PHP and asked for opinions. I merely gave my
> opinion that these "improvements" would be a waste of time as they would add
> nothing to the language (IMHO, of course). How many in this frum have
> expressed any support for any of these "improvements"?

That's not the point. You attacked the suggester not the suggestions.
That's all I'm trying to point out. There's a way to disagree in a
reasonable manner.

> "not be feasible" covers "loss of performance", "loss of BC" and "a whole
> bunch of other issues". If the cost of implementing your "improvements" is
> not worth the dubious benefit then why should they considered?

Without adequate investigation or comment from people who actually
know about this stuff it's impossible to say whether the costs are too
great to make them acceptable against the benefits.

OO had a massive negative effect on performance, but it still happened
because the benefits greatly outweighed the costs. IMHO all ideas
should be properly considered, regardless of my gut reaction to them.

>> As far as your "if I can do it why can't you" comment goes, I don't
>> think anything has been said that would imply Nathan is not just as
>> capable of developing complex systems as you think you are. He has
>> expressed a wish for some additional features in PHP because he's used
>> other languages with those features and he likes them. Does this mean
>> he's inexperienced or incapable? No, and it's a shame you can't see
>> past the end of your superiority complex and acknowledge that.
>
> I never said that I am superior, just that the lack of these requested
> features has not stopped me, or many other PHP programmers I would imagine,
> from writing large, complex applications with PHP. I have used many
> languages in my 35+ year career, and I am far more productive with PHP than
> I have been with all the others.

People rarely say they're superior, but that opinion often comes
across in the way they interact with others. I don't care how long
your career has been, there's a way to productively deal with other
people.

Coming back to the OO example, a lot of us got a lot done before that
came along, but that didn't make it any less welcome when it arrived,
and someone had to take the first step and suggest it. Attack people
for making suggestions and you'll quickly lose a valuable source of
ideas.

I'm done with this now as you're clearly set in your ways and it's not
adding value to the discussion.

Nathan: I see you've taken this over to the internals list. I wish you
luck with your suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/