Re: Re: Opinions / Votes Needed

"Stuart" <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:a5f019de0901181322i2a4cbfaam4d36eff843f42300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 2009/1/18 Tony Marston <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> In case you have forgotten what this thread is about, the OP gave a list
>> of
>> suggested "improvements" to PHP and asked for opinions. I merely gave my
>> opinion that these "improvements" would be a waste of time as they would
>> add
>> nothing to the language (IMHO, of course). How many in this frum have
>> expressed any support for any of these "improvements"?
>
> That's not the point. You attacked the suggester not the suggestions.
> That's all I'm trying to point out. There's a way to disagree in a
> reasonable manner.

Anybody who suggests that PHP be changed from dynamic typing to static
typing is feeble minded, one brick short of a full load, one sandwich short
of a picnic, off his trolley, talking out of the wrong end of his alimentary
canal, etc, etc. In my humble opinion, of course.

>> "not be feasible" covers "loss of performance", "loss of BC" and "a whole
>> bunch of other issues". If the cost of implementing your "improvements"
>> is
>> not worth the dubious benefit then why should they considered?
>
> Without adequate investigation or comment from people who actually
> know about this stuff it's impossible to say whether the costs are too
> great to make them acceptable against the benefits.
>
> OO had a massive negative effect on performance, but it still happened
> because the benefits greatly outweighed the costs. IMHO all ideas
> should be properly considered, regardless of my gut reaction to them.

Statuic typing is unworthy of consideration in a language whch has made its
bones from being dynamically typed. In my humble opinion, of course.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net