Re: Architecture patterns in PHP

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Eric Butera <eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > it also acts as a nice control mechanism to compare so many frameworks,
>> > trivial php, and html.  really nice to see the numbers like that; so
>> > cake is
>> > horrifically slow, solar & zend are pretty fast and code igniter is like
>> > twice as fast as those.
>>
>> One thing I'd like to point out is that hello world might show the
>> overhead of putting something to screen, it doesn't touch the database
>> or any of the harder parts of a "real" app like sessions & acls.
>> Things quickly go downhill from there.
>
> yeah, i dont think ive ever seen a real world app (more specifically an app
> from one of the companies ive worked at) that didnt hit the database on even
> the most simple of pages.
>

>> I saw these slides and started comparing my custom developed framework
>> vs most of the standard picks out there.  At first I was really
>> disappointed with myself after seeing my apache bench numbers suck.
>> Turns out when you actually start building an app mine wasn't nearly
>> as slow as I thought.  But on a simple hello world it fared pretty
>> pathetically because it ran a lot of other routines that I always use
>> in real apps, but not in hello world.
>
> clearly there are other facets to compare, like a database layer would be
> nice to compare.  ci uses what they call active record, which basically
> means runtime introspection of the database.  im not sure how it works in
> cake or zend, but i know symphony has an abstraction layer which theyve
> already mapped propel and doctrine to.  lots of room for performance
> differences there no doubt.
>
> what i tend to think about when i see these numbers tho, is that if i were
> to ever build a company w/ a php app that was slated for growth, cake would
> be probly the last option on the list.  the differences arent so bad when
> you have a tiny website, but we've got 2000 servers at photobucket for
> example.  imagine how many servers you can save at that scale w/ a php
> framework that does its job and gets out of the way.
>
> i just happen to know another popular web company here in denver running on
> some hacked version of cake, and honestly, i feel sorry for them :D
>
> -nathan

I was following the blog tutorial on cake and here's what I got from
hitting the post/index page:

081230 12:51:55	    316 Connect     root@localhost on
		    316 Init DB     cake
		    316 Query       SHOW TABLES FROM `cake`
		    316 Query       DESCRIBE `posts`
		    316 Query       SELECT `Post`.`id`, `Post`.`title`,
`Post`.`body`, `Post`.`created`, `Post`.`modified` FROM `posts` AS
`Post`   WHERE 1 = 1
		    316 Quit