Re: Architecture patterns in PHP

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Eric Butera <eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:07 AM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> > it also acts as a nice control mechanism to compare so many frameworks,
> > trivial php, and html.  really nice to see the numbers like that; so cake
> is
> > horrifically slow, solar & zend are pretty fast and code igniter is like
> > twice as fast as those.
>
> One thing I'd like to point out is that hello world might show the
> overhead of putting something to screen, it doesn't touch the database
> or any of the harder parts of a "real" app like sessions & acls.
> Things quickly go downhill from there.

yeah, i dont think ive ever seen a real world app (more specifically an app
from one of the companies ive worked at) that didnt hit the database on even
the most simple of pages.

> I saw these slides and started comparing my custom developed framework
> vs most of the standard picks out there.  At first I was really
> disappointed with myself after seeing my apache bench numbers suck.
> Turns out when you actually start building an app mine wasn't nearly
> as slow as I thought.  But on a simple hello world it fared pretty
> pathetically because it ran a lot of other routines that I always use
> in real apps, but not in hello world.

clearly there are other facets to compare, like a database layer would be
nice to compare.  ci uses what they call active record, which basically
means runtime introspection of the database.  im not sure how it works in
cake or zend, but i know symphony has an abstraction layer which theyve
already mapped propel and doctrine to.  lots of room for performance
differences there no doubt.

what i tend to think about when i see these numbers tho, is that if i were
to ever build a company w/ a php app that was slated for growth, cake would
be probly the last option on the list.  the differences arent so bad when
you have a tiny website, but we've got 2000 servers at photobucket for
example.  imagine how many servers you can save at that scale w/ a php
framework that does its job and gets out of the way.

i just happen to know another popular web company here in denver running on
some hacked version of cake, and honestly, i feel sorry for them :D

-nathan