Re: It's Sunday, and I'm bored...

Govinda wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Richard Heyes wrote:
>>
>> Subversion, or svn for short. Helps you maintain code bases. Far
>> better than regular backups (though by no means a replacement).
>
> I looked it over briefly and it looks smart for serious collaborated
> efforts..  but i ask - is anyone finding it makes sense for one-man shows?
> (For the time to get up to speed with this maybe I could just pay more
> attention to making/naming my own backups?)
>>

>>> It's nice to have at least loose communities like this list so we solo
>>> freelancers don't think we're simply mad.
>>
>> You are... :-)
> Well yes, but I meant without company..  See when we are in a herd, then
> even if we're all mad, then somehow it seems alright.  ;-)  We even have
> professional looking tools to track which version of madness!

Absolutely - I use it for my (largely) solo projects. For one thing, not all
projects remain solo efforts - at least two of my recent projects have been big
enough to bring someone else in, and at that point if the stuff is all in SVN
then it's MUCH easier...
Also, I find that I can easily be a different "person" on another day, and want
to experiment with some refactoring or neat way of doing stuff. SVN gives me a
simple way to fall back to the previous stuff without too many headaches.
AND (this is probably most relevant to the original thread) when I commit code
to the repository, it asks for a comment to attach to the commit.
That's really useful (as I think Richard finds) when I come to do my timesheets,
which is usually less often than my commits...

Cheers
Pete

--
Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
Developer                               fax:   01580 893399