Re: searching by tags....

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 11:22 +0100, Nathan Rixham wrote:
> Jochem Maas wrote:
> > Ashley Sheridan schreef:

> >> You're preaching to the converted on this topic, I've already put
> >> together a couple of articles on my site about it in the past. What I
> >> was saying was that the sites that seem to feature so prominently on
> >> listings were in fact using querystring URLs; the very thing that SEO
> >> guides tell us not to use. I think it's just an outdated belief that URL
> >> rewriting is better, as clearly it doesn't ever seem to be.
> >
> > obviously the converted weren't listening.
> >

> indeed, the point being (perhaps I didn't make it clear) is that the
> forum posts you are talking about are listed highly due to several other
> major factors, the difference between using dynamic (querystring) and
> static urls only comes in to play when all other factors are pretty much
> equal; in this scenario the static urls with keywords in will *always*
> out rank the dynamic urls. (fact: a keyword in a static url is +1 to the
> weight of the page, without it you can't get that +1).
>
> Additionally (feel free to test this) a site with 3000 unique pages all
> using static urls will invariably get fully indexed - whereas the same
> site with 3000 dynamic urls generally will not.
>
> --
> nathan ( nathan@xxxxxxxxxxx )
> {
>    Senior Web Developer
>    php + java + flex + xmpp + xml + ecmascript
>    web development edinburgh | http://kraya.co.uk/
> }

The point I'm trying to make is that a lot of SEO 'guides' out there say
that URLs with querystrings DO NOT GET INDEXED. Clearly that's rubbish,
as they feature highly on the listings. Also, if you'd have read one of
my previous posts, you'll note that I did concede that different parts
of the URL may have different weightings, which is the only reason to
use URL re-writing over querystring URLs.

I'd like to see what data you're basing you facts on, as I've looked
pretty extensively over the past few years, and have not yet once seen
such evidence that can give hard figures. Also, you bandy the 3000 pages
figure about. Have you tested this properly? A proper test would involve
3000 unique (and by unique I mean not at all similar) searches, across
several search engines, and tally all the results from the first pages
of each search to determine the ratio of querystring URLs to static
URLs. Sorry, but until you can offer *actual evidence* for your supposed
facts, then I'm inclined to go on what I have tested to be true so far.
In fact, I've just recently completed SEO work on a site with about
75,000 pages, most of which are querystring URLs, and the client has
remarked how better the traffic has been. I doubt I'd get much
improvement if I went for static URLs on the site, but I don't have any
evidence for that, and I'm willing to admit it.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk