Re: searching by tags....

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 00:58 +0100, Nathan Rixham wrote:
> Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> >> 								^-- some what ironic :-)
> >>
> > Yeah I saw that too...
> >
> > What always gets me is that forums always feature really high on search
> > results, and I've yet to see one of these forums use URL rewriting! I
> > really think this belief about query-less URLs being more search engine
> > friendly is outdated.
> >

> > Ash
> > www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> a search engines main job is to send people to what they are looking
> for, not what an seo has determined they should be seeing, as such
> "content is king".
>
> Forums, lists and newsgroups tend to hold more specific content on
> exactly what the user is searching for, hence why google shows it high
> (as it's one of the few documents on the net which relate most directly
> to what was searched for [long tail search terms]); additionally all the
> aforementioned often have a trail of replies; sometimes this is a bonus
> as the replies repeat the keyword terms; however sometimes it's to the
> detriment, particularly when they wander off topic.
>
> It's also worth noting that sites which update frequently, especially
> those who update sitemaps and send out pings get crawled more frequently
> and thus indexed faster. On hot-topics this has a knock on effect, the
> posts get crawled by scrapers and content harvesters and re-published
> (often with a link back) - and this helps as the vote count for the
> original forum post goes up due to the link backs + the original source
> is detected as such and given prominence over the copies (most of the time).
>
> Further people take care to title their posts/messages correctly in
> order to attract answers quickly, this text is then repeated on the
> forum page in all the prominent places (title, permalink, heading
> tags..) and further still, the post/message is normally perfectly
> matched to the user specified title - so it's natural seo at it's best.
> (Worth having a read up on contextual and semantic analysis as well)
>
> Next up, the sites weight, as forums often have thousands (or hundreds
> of thousands) of pages/posts, and high volume traffic, the site is
> deemed more important and thus higher ranking, which brings in more
> traffic and so it spirals. On this note it's also worth considering that
> google track what you click on so if searchers continually click item 3
> in the search results, over time they'll move it up as it's been classed
> as most accurate for that search (more.. obviously due to wide use of
> analytics and checking when a user comes back to the results to click
> another they can also harvest accuracy data by comparing bounce rates
> etc and adjust accordingly).
>
> so much more on this subject but that's about the top and bottom of it
> in this scenario.
>
> *yawn* getting late

You're preaching to the converted on this topic, I've already put
together a couple of articles on my site about it in the past. What I
was saying was that the sites that seem to feature so prominently on
listings were in fact using querystring URLs; the very thing that SEO
guides tell us not to use. I think it's just an outdated belief that URL
rewriting is better, as clearly it doesn't ever seem to be.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk