RE: [Semi-OT] Tonns of jobs available

At 11:46 AM -0400 10/10/08, TG wrote:
I had a free Guru.com account when I was working freelance and job hunting
and all that, and I didn't bother submitting a single proposal because I
could see how all the jobs went.  People would submit a reasonable proposal
and eventually it would get to the point where someone was bidding $1 to do
the job.  That was $1 plus $5,000 or something in "additional work" or some
stupidity.

I had one guy respond to my bid and ask how much I charged. I replied "$50 per hour".

To which he said "$50! I never paid more than $25 per hour -- will you work for that?"

I replied "Sure, but it's going to take me twice as long to get anything done."

I didn't get the job.

Actually, if I really punched a time clock, I'm probably making around $25 per hour (or less) anyway. It's a good thing I love the work, but it's usually the clients who are the main problem. Too bad they often stand in the way of what they really want done.

I had another respond to my bid. They wanted a way they could upload Word documents to a server and have them automagically become pdf files. I said, "Why don't you just do it directly from Word?" Poof -- I lost that contract.

Another said that they wanted a way to upload pdf files and then inject input fields directly into the uploaded pdf file.

I told them that's not an easy thing to do considering how PDF files are constructed. So I suggested creating an online form and generating pdf files on the fly. I even made a demo for them to use. But, the client said "No, we need to be able use our existing pdf files.

So, I researched the hell out of it some more and came to the conclusion that it would be very difficult and told them so.

They answered "Oh, don't worry about it, we already found someone who can do it. He showed us a way that we could use an online form and generate pdf files on the fly."

Duh!

Is everyone stupid or is it just me?  :-)

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------