RE: [Semi-OT] Tonns of jobs available

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 14:54 -0400, tedd wrote:
> At 11:46 AM -0400 10/10/08, TG wrote:
> >I had a free Guru.com account when I was working freelance and job hunting
> >and all that, and I didn't bother submitting a single proposal because I
> >could see how all the jobs went.  People would submit a reasonable proposal
> >and eventually it would get to the point where someone was bidding $1 to do
> >the job.  That was $1 plus $5,000 or something in "additional work" or some
> >stupidity.
>
> I had one guy respond to my bid and ask how much I charged. I replied
> "$50 per hour".
>
> To which he said "$50! I never paid more than $25 per hour -- will
> you work for that?"
>
> I replied "Sure, but it's going to take me twice as long to get anything done."
>
> I didn't get the job.
>
> Actually, if I really punched a time clock, I'm probably making
> around $25 per hour (or less) anyway. It's a good thing I love the
> work, but it's usually the clients who are the main problem. Too bad
> they often stand in the way of what they really want done.
>
> I had another respond to my bid. They wanted a way they could upload
> Word documents to a server and have them automagically become pdf
> files. I said, "Why don't you just do it directly from Word?" Poof --
> I lost that contract.
>
> Another said that they wanted a way to upload pdf files and then
> inject input fields directly into the uploaded pdf file.
>
> I told them that's not an easy thing to do considering how PDF files
> are constructed. So I suggested creating an online form and
> generating pdf files on the fly. I even made a demo for them to use.
> But, the client said "No, we need to be able use our existing pdf
> files.
>
> So, I researched the hell out of it some more and came to the
> conclusion that it would be very difficult and told them so.
>
> They answered "Oh, don't worry about it, we already found someone who
> can do it. He showed us a way that we could use an online form and
> generate pdf files on the fly."
>
> Duh!
>
> Is everyone stupid or is it just me?  :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com

We've all been there. I put together a site at work, and despite my best
efforts, the girl who is in-charge of adding content keeps making the
same mistakes, like trying to upload a PDF in a field clearly marked CSV
(and then wondering why it doesn't work) or adding a new article and
wonder why it doesn't appear in date order if she doesn't specify a date
(articles often get added at times other than they occur) or why when
she uploads a 1024*768 BMP file, the site has trouble converting it,
despite asking for a much smaller JPG file! All these problems are just
on one site and with one woman. My whole base is like this!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk