RE: Crowd-sourcing woes - Was: [Semi-OT] Tonns of jobs available

Heh.. my first job was to create an HTML template for this guy's product
e-mails. I set it up to where all he had to do was copy + paste and
change the images/description. It looked good, and it worked just fine.

Well.. that wasn't good enough. His template request turned into a
"Well, that's great... but what I want now is a mass e-mailing utility
and for you to teach me how to use Outlook Express!" I had bid low on
the job on purpose, as I just wanted to get at least ONE under my belt.
I was taken advantage of. Apparently he thought I was desperate, and
would be willing to shoulder one new appended request after another.

Needless to say, I had to take it into arbitration after a few
mind-blowing exercises in client arrogance and stupidity. The whole
project probably took two weeks--but the product was in its finished
form after the first day I was given the job.

Rrgh.

<?= $people == $stupid & $arrogant & $impolite ?>
TRUE

I later bid $75 on a project that I ethically could have charged $150
for. It was "done" by an individual from Pakistan who charged only $10
($65 difference! WTF?!). No doubt he took months to do it, and it was
far short of the client's par for expected results.

I guess the crowd-sourcing sites can be decent money makers if you are
predominantly involved with either fixing sloppy code (from previous
errs in the seller's judgment re: picking a worthwhile coder) or the
enterprise-level jobs that never dip below $5,000 a bid. I don't have
time for the enterprise-level projects, and fixing broken code that was
jumbled together by a million monkeys sitting at a million typewriters
in someone's basement would probably cause my brain to leak out of my
ears.

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer