Re: Re: php framework vs just php?

Luke wrote:
I can't say I've ever used a framework.

I like to be in control of all of my code, plus it's much more satisfying
when you write everything yourself (I've found anyway)...
If I want to make use of existing code, I rather have a good understanding and a grasp of the philosophy behind it. It is all about decisions anyway, so I better know why than just think 'whatever' or 'I don't care'.

Therefore I just make use of libraries. Most of it is my own code, some are just variations on existing code and I tweaked it to my needs (or philosophy).

Frameworks are nice. But I've never seen any other construction work in other fields making use of frameworks without customizing it over and over again. When people build a house, they can use ready-built parts etc. But when that house is finished, it doesn't need any backwards compatability. Housing has a lot of 'standards' and regulations or best practises. But they never use another framework exactly the same way as they did before.

You can say 'Software ain't the same as housing'. Correct. But there are similarities however that makes you think about what is a good practise and what not.

If you have a function and it works, but it is old code, you can still reuse it, modify it and apply it. That doesn't make a need for putting the modified version back into your old project, just for the sake of 'maintainance'.

If I would be in the business of building houses, I would have to use pipes, cut them off, tweak them here and there to make them fit etc. That doesn't make a need for cut them all off already and tweak them for an older project, or next projects to come. No?

I rather have a good supply of small, workable, understandable pieces of code that could make up for a framework, but doesn't.

I don't want a house that is built on top of a factory framework with a lot of parts that makes it cloggy and won't be used at all.

That is just my idea of why I use a library, a toolkit, rather than frameworks that are oversized most of the time.
--

Aschwin Wesselius

/'What you would like to be done to you, do that to the other....'/