Re: How to capture origional client machine _directory_ and file name on uploads?

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 12:35 -0400, J. Hill wrote:
> [Sorry Nathan.]
>
> Yes, I should have said "autopopulate".  And from what I have found,
> you're right; it does appear java applets can do it, but I had hoped to
> avoid that option.
>
> > Eric Butera -- The file upload will only exist in the specified temp
> > directory . . ..
> Perhaps I should have explained more. If they make an error, I only
> wanted to autopopulate the field with the correct value rather than
> tracking the temp file. However, it appears your solution may be the
> best solution, other than using java applets. Messy. Bummer.
>
> > Richard Heyes -- Tes, keep your pesky nose out . . .
> I would love to keep my nose out ;-)    Unfortunately, the request has
> been made by our paying clients who are the ones uploading the files.
>
> While I do appreciate the security issues, there are so many other
> vulnerabilities, the basic autopopulate concept seems to add very little
> to the mix.
>
> Thanks to all for the input.
>
> Jeff
>

> Nathan Rixham wrote:
> > J. Hill wrote:
> >> This should be trivial, but apparently not -- or maybe I just need
> >> more caffeine. My searches have come up empty.
> >>
> >> I am trying to get not only the original file name on uploads, but
> >> also the original directory on the client machine as well.
> >>
> >> The purpose is for users who make a mistake on another part of the
> >> form; when the form is returned for them to complete properly, all of
> >> the correct values are automatically filled in. That's trivial in
> >> most instances, but I'm not finding a solution for file uploads.
> >>
> >> This seems like a common need. Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Jeff
> >>

> > AFAIK that info is outside the security sandbox of web browsers; just
> > like you can't resend the file or autopopulate what file you want them
> > to upload.
> >
> > only way is to use a third party browser extension or app; java
> > uploader or such like and you may have some luck.

This isn't possible, as people have explained, for security reasons.
What you can do though, is capture and semi-process the file uploaded in
the unsuccessful form submission and keep it in a sandbox until the form
gets submitted correctly. This would get round your problems, but you
will need a clean-up method to remove files that get left behind by
people giving up filling in the form correctly.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk