Re: How to capture origional client machine _directory_ and file name on uploads?

[Sorry Nathan.]

Yes, I should have said "autopopulate". And from what I have found, you're right; it does appear java applets can do it, but I had hoped to avoid that option.

Eric Butera -- The file upload will only exist in the specified temp directory . . ..
Perhaps I should have explained more. If they make an error, I only wanted to autopopulate the field with the correct value rather than tracking the temp file. However, it appears your solution may be the best solution, other than using java applets. Messy. Bummer.

Richard Heyes -- Tes, keep your pesky nose out . . .
I would love to keep my nose out ;-) Unfortunately, the request has been made by our paying clients who are the ones uploading the files.

While I do appreciate the security issues, there are so many other vulnerabilities, the basic autopopulate concept seems to add very little to the mix.

Thanks to all for the input.

Jeff

Nathan Rixham wrote:
J. Hill wrote:
This should be trivial, but apparently not -- or maybe I just need more caffeine. My searches have come up empty.

I am trying to get not only the original file name on uploads, but also the original directory on the client machine as well.

The purpose is for users who make a mistake on another part of the form; when the form is returned for them to complete properly, all of the correct values are automatically filled in. That's trivial in most instances, but I'm not finding a solution for file uploads.

This seems like a common need. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

AFAIK that info is outside the security sandbox of web browsers; just like you can't resend the file or autopopulate what file you want them to upload.

only way is to use a third party browser extension or app; java uploader or such like and you may have some luck.