Re: Passing variables between pages

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:49 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 11:19 PM +0100 9/21/08, Nathan Rixham wrote:
>>
>> so may as well just have everything in one script then..
>
> You always have the option to write one huge script for any application.
>
> But normally in programming, we confront any problem by breaking it down
> into smaller steps and writing code to solve smaller problems. Whenever any
> step is finished, then we pass the results on to the next step and continue
> solving the problem -- is this not correct?
>
> In PHP, we use sessions to pass variables between scripts -- but we could
> just as well use:
>
> ob_clean();
> include('next.php');
> exit(0);
>
> For this will continue the program flow with all the variables intact the
> same as using sessions -- is this not correct?
>
> Maybe I'm not understanding the limitations of this technique -- so, let me
> put this another way, show me an example where sessions is the answer and my
> include method won't work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com
>
> --

I don't understand what sort of point you're trying to make with this?
 The original poster asked how to keep state between different pages
which in that context did mean separate requests.  It seems like
you're trying to be confusing on purpose.

In all of my applications there is a clear definition between requests
variables, session variables, global configuration variables, and
local variables.  So just defining $foo saying include 'steptwo.php'
to echo $foo really wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me from your
example.  Where did $foo come from when steptwo.php runs?  Do you
always assume steptwo.php is an include and prevent direct access to
it?  Do you check to see if $foo exists and if not check the query
string?  Was $foo validated to be the correct data type/length
requirements, etc if so?  That would be a double check for nothing in
some cases.

I do use this technique inside of my templating class though.  All it
does is assign variables to a class and then I access them inside of
the template which is just included inside of my render() method.
This is a very controlled situation though since I know that the
context is output and my input has been validated at this point and
all output will be escaped.