Re: Why MS Won't Retire Browsers -- was: Interntet Explorer 8 beater 2

Ashley Sheridan wrote:
Would it be totally off topic if everyone were to say what their
favourite OS was and why? I'm just a little curious as to what OS's
people use in this field.

Well I've been using various flavours of Linux since uni where it was used in most to the labs. It was a RH version and as I started playing with it on my own PCs I opted for a RH derivative that gaining momentum at the time, Mandrake. I've been using it ever since with little forrays into Fedora, Ubuntu and Suse land. For me Mandriva is an ideal distro. It's secure, business orientated but still very desktop friendly. The people involved are excellent and the community is both very supportive and fun (similar feeling to this list).

For me a linux distro is not all about having the latest and greatest packages shoved at you whenever they are available. To me the job of the distro is to have defined cycles and defined distribution channels. While they have their place, having random repositories of packages is IMO not a good idea. Different people package things in different ways and with different names etc. which can make upgrading difficult when official packages conflict with third party ones.

So the Mandriva system for me works best. I can use happily in my home computing life and I can deploy it to the network of machines in my office without worry.

I have a lot of time of OSX, but I like to fiddle and break and be different, and OSX doesn't give me quite what I want in that respect.

Windows? Nah.

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie