Re: Re: Why MS Won't Retire Browsers -- was: Interntet Explorer 8 beater 2

At 8:11 PM +0100 9/16/08, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
Would it be totally off topic if everyone were to say what their favourite OS was and why? I'm just a little curious as to what OS's people use in this field.

Obviously, mine is Mac and OSX 10.4.11. My next one will be whatever is the top of the line Apple has at the time I have to money for it.

Why?

Long story -- I won't go into my pre-Apple days building various computers, but I started my relationship with Apple in 1977 when I bought a mail order a 16k integer Apple ][. I wrote a lot of software for the critter as it evolved over the years.

I bought my first Mac in 1984, and have continued with Mac's ever since.

My current system provides me with everything I want better than any development system I have had before -- and I've had many. I don't want to change to something else, because this works great for me and until I'm faced with something I can't do, then I'll continue the current course.

But another consideration -- I watched the micro-computer industry change from "kids in a garage" wanting to show the world what they can do -- to the world's largest corporations maximizing profits.

Sure the "kids in a garage" have matured and care about profits like any other business, but they still seem to want to show people what they can do rather than maximizing profits. There appears to be a difference, at least to me.

So, partly what I have chosen is not only based upon on how stable the platform is, and what it can do for me, but what I perceive the parent company to be. Call it naive if you want, maybe I'm just a treckie who doesn't know any better, or some washed up has-been -- but -- I've done some amazing things in programming efforts by simply not knowing better and relying on Apple to do their part. Thus far, they haven't let me down -- at least from a product point of view.

With respect to management, advertising, and establishing their product as their product should be, they suck! How someone can lose the market share to a problem prone second rate product is beyond me -- but, that's another topic.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------