RE: Re: Why MS Won't Retire Browsers -- was: Interntet Explorer 8 beater 2 [0T]

---8<--- snip

> I despise Vista, everytime I have to fix it (or use it) my blood
> pressure rises, with XP I experienced mild annoyance
> once in a while and with MacOSX I'm generally finding that I'm
> pleasantly surprised with the ease with which most
> things are done (actually I believe M$ Windows Explorer is better than
> MacOSX Finder, but that partly due to
> years of experience/usage).
>
> I have colleagues using Vista and I hear them shout at it daily, pretty
> damning considering they generally
> know how to get around an OS ... but the clincher as to why Vista sucks
> ... I was asked to replace a PC
> for a lady I know, she a basic user with no real understanding of
> computers ... she's used both
> Vista and XP ... the first thing she said to me: "don't you dare
> install Vista, 'I hate it'" ...
> when a semi- computer literate end-user gives me that line I know that
> Vista just doesn't fly.
>
> it's not a question of bitching rather a question of accepting general
> user's experiences and opinions,
> and avoiding Vista (and thereby saving oneself a lot of grief). The
> idea that it's acceptable that an OS
> is shipped in a configuration that required you to fiddle (with regedit
> for ****s sake) all sorts of
> settings in order to get it into a usable state.

It was absolutely useable before I made the registry mod... and I'm not saying it's a good OS, either. I'm just saying I'm tired of hearing people bash it with no foundation to stand on. Since writing that message, several people have replied back as if I am some sort of frontline for Microsoft. I think, as far as operating systems go (and software in general, for that matter), they develop piss-poor packages and provide worse support. However, I still don't "get" the rise against Vista outside of not wanting to pay more.

WARNING: None of your complaints are going to make it to Microsoft through me. :) I don't work for them. I don't endorse their products. I just hate to hear people say, "Product X sucks. The makers of Product X suck, too," without any sort of factual information provided to support their opinion/argument.

I run Ubuntu, Debian, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, OSX Leopard, MS-DOS 6, blah blah blah... and I've even been trying versions of ReactOS (a Windows XP clone project) as they are released.

> Comparing it to MacOSX is rather amusing, I got my first Mac at the end
> of last year ... I started it up
> and it pretty much only asked me for my name, I was up and running in
> minutes, and I haven't had to tweak or
> 'fix' anything ... it took me about 1.5 days to get properly accustomed
> (to a completely new OS!). If a
> 'small' company like apple can produce this level of quality (in a lot
> less time as well) then M$'s latest
> offering is quite simply shameful ... you can develop and deploy a
> spaceshuttle with all the trimmings for
> the kind of money & time they pumped into Vista
>
> ... so yeah, I'm not bitchin', I'm laughing (& weeping).
>
> If Vista floats your boat that's great, but I for one would rather buy
> my sister (for example) an iMac than
> spend 5 minutes fixing her Vista machine.
>
> other bitching's:
>
> WebKit: fringe browser tech, the only thing annoying is that it's
> another frakkin' marginally different
> browser platform that I have to support/test on.
>
> Google: yeah they're evil all round, WTF do you expect from a company
> intent on ruling everything.
>
> Xandros EEE: don't care what-so-ever, I don't believe the large numbers
> of linux distro's are at all helpful
> to the cause and silly little gimmick machine's aimed at Paris-Hilton-
> wannabe-bloggers don't really interest me.

This "gimmick machine" (or at least the technology involved, when applied to other projects) is aimed at being an affordable, solar-rechargeable, decentralized-wireless-network-capable laptop to cost about $200 or less. Its major market target right now is developing countries where information interchange has yet to springboard like it has in "first world" nations. Anyway, I digress...

> Facebook: principly unsound. a social gimmick devoid of depth and
> integrity, it's merely a new form of
> the ago old mechanisms of large scale social control. really not
> interested in that at all.

Uhh. "Large scale social control"? Seriously?

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer