Re: ASCII Captcha

On 30 Aug 2008, at 15:02, tedd wrote:
At 12:05 AM +0100 8/30/08, Stut wrote:
To me accessibility means that everyone is able to use something to achieve a goal regardless of their physical or mental condition. Nothing about it says that everyone should be able to reach that goal without assistance and that said assistance should be readily available and easy to request.

Yes, I agree with that too -- but what I was commenting about was the "Call us if you're disabled" comment as being the ultimate in accessibility because that's far from it.

Too many sites simply say "If you have problems, call us" and that's their total effort to improve conditions for the disabled AND they think they did their part -- but the truth is they haven't.

There's a big difference in my mind between "If you have problems getting past this CAPTCHA please call us" and "If you have problems, call us". I had assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that in the first instance the phone call would result in the user being able to get past the CAPTCHA. In this instance special steps need to be taken to technically enable a phone conversation to get a user past the CAPTCHA.

In more general terms we are in complete agreement. Websites should do everything they can to make their sites as accessible as possible. I can count on one hand the number of companies I've worked with who took colour blindness into consideration when (re)designing their site.

What I find particularly daft is that when you look at requirements for accessibility most of them are the same as requirements for good SEO, so I don't understand why more sites don't have alt tags everywhere, and text-only optimisation.

CAPTCHA's are a special case due to the problem it's trying to solve. The very things they're trying to prevent are enabled by making them accessible. I'm sure in time progress will be made in this area but in the meantime I stand by my assertion that a 'phone number people can call with any type of telephone to interact with another human who can get them past the check without compromising the protection the check affords is ultimate accessibility.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net//